It’s really just a spin on banana bread for those of us who don’t have a bread pan. I love making muffins instead of a loaf. They take half the time to bake, they’re easy to grab on the go and they’re easy to pack! It’s also a healthier alternative to grabbing a cupcake or a piece of cake.
- 2 cups flour (405 in Germany or bread flour in America)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (aka: Natron)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans, if you prefer them)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey*
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 ripe-to-overripe bananas (if you have more, add them. You can add up to 4 bananas and it will turn out well)
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F).
- In one bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, walnuts, and salt.
- In another bowl, add butter, honey, eggs, and bananas. Your mixture may be lumpy, which is okay. Personally, I smash all lumps or remove them, if I can’t pulverize them. I don’t really like chunks of banana when I bite into a muffin. HOWEVER, if you like bananas, leave it nice and lumpy!
- Slowly and gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully blended. There is no need to use a mixer, but it helps speed things along.
- Prep your baking method!
- If you have a muffin tin AND muffin papers: insert one muffin paper in each spot and fill the cup 3/4 full with batter.
- If you have a muffin tin WITHOUT muffin papers: Line the muffin tin with a light coating of butter and fill 3/4 full with batter.
- If you have NO muffin tin, place the paper muffin cups on a wire rack and fill 3/4 full with batter. This is the method I like, but be very careful with this method as you may spill the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick/chopstick inserted into center of tone of the muffins comes out clean. Since muffins bake quite fast in relation to breads, keep an eye on them after 20 minutes as they may be done sooner than expected!
*Note: these are NOT the typical sugar rush muffins you typically expect. If you want sweeter muffins, I suggest adding another 1/4 cup honey.
My favorite way to eat them is to pop them in the microwave for 15 seconds and butter them up with a bit of salted butter.